No. 1 : Quick Recipe
Salsa Verde Chili
- 2 LBs Tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 Red Onions, peeled and quartered 6 Garlic Cloves
- 4 Poblano Peppers, halved
- 2 Jalapeños, halved and seeded
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 TB Smoked Paprika
- 2 Chipotle Peppers, chopped
- 2 (15 OZ) Cans EACH Black Beans and Hominy, Drained and Rinsed
- 2 Cups Frozen Corn
- 1 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- Garnishes including cheese, olives, jalapeños, crispy Serrano ham or prosciutto, onions, olives, chopped tomatoes etc.
- Tortillas and tortilla chips
To make the salsa verde, toss the tomatillos, onions, garlic, poblanos, and jalapeños in 2 TB of the olive oil and 1 tsp salt. Place on a sheet tray and slide into the oven, roast for 20 – 30 minutes or until the peppers are browned on the edges. Remove from the oven and puree until chunky in a food processor. Add the beans, hominy, corn to a slow cooker and then the salsa verde you made earlier. Add in 1 to 2 cups of water to create desired consistency Cook for 4 – 5 hours on high or 10 hours on low.
No. 2 : Kitchen Scoop
This easy-to-make and enjoy chili uses two ingredients you can find in your local grocery store, but you may not buy often; Tomatillos, and Poblano peppers. Tomatillos are in the tomato family, but aren’t sweet and soft like the tomatoes we are familiar with – make sure to peel and rinse them. That sticky sub- stance under the crinkly paper is actually a bug deterrent. If you can’t find tomatillos, a large jar of salsa verde will work in the recipe. Poblano peppers are sweet and delicious with very little heat. If for some reason you can’t find them – substitute bell peppers instead.
No. 3 : Get Creative
You HAVE to serve up cheese dip!
Spanish Style Cheese Dip
- 1 Cup Shredded Manchego Cheese
- 1 TB Olive Oil Mayo
- 1 TB Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 – 2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Jar (approx. 6 – 8) Roasted Red Peppers, chopped
- 2 TB Capers
- 2 TB Toasted Sliced Almonds Sea Salt to taste
Add the cheese, mayo, yogurt, paprika and peppers to a small bowl and mix well. Stir in the ca- pers and almonds. Season to taste with salt and use as a dip or as a spread for bread.
No. 4 : Cheers!
I have a line up of THREE wines for a Big Game Party. All three under $20 and all easy to find at your local grocery or wine store!
- Cava is Spain’s answer to Champagne. Crisp, sparkling and refreshing.
- Albarino is a Spanish indigenous grape that will
please white wine lovers whether they like and unoaked Chardonnay or a Sauvignon Blanc.
- Rioja is made with the Tempranillo grape and is a traditional pair with hearty fare like pork, mushrooms or even a savory bean stew like our Salsa Verde Chili.