Summer is all about trying to stay out of the kitchen and next to the pool or out on the patio. These two salads are are fast, flavorful and cool! And both are all about seasonal produce! In the summer season here in Georgia is arugula, tomatoes, fresh herbs, cherries and blackberries among others.
Shrimp Salad with Summer Tomato Vinaigrette
- 1 – 2 LBS Medium/Large Shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 1 Large Fennel Bulb, thinly sliced
- ½ Cup Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- ½ Cup Capers
- 6 Cups Arugula
- 1 Recipe Summer Tomato Vinaigrette
In a large salad bowl, add the fennel, red onion, capers and arugula. Add the shrimp. Drizzle with the dressing and toss.
Summer Tomato Vinaigrette
- 3 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TB Rice Vinegar
- 1 TB Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- ½ Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Large Ripe Tomato, finely chopped
Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Blackberries and Cherries are both in season in the summer – You can make this salad with either
- You can use the salad dressing to marinate chicken before putting it on the grill, and serve up the salad as a bed for your grilled chicken.
Fresh Berry or Cherry Salad with Orange Dressing
- 1 TB Orange Zest
- 2 TB Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 TB Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt and ¼ Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 4 – 6 Cups Blackberries or Cherries
- 1 Pkg Spring Greens
- 6 Basil Leaves, coarsely torn
- 4 OZ Crumbled Goat Cheese
- ¼ Cup Toasted Almonds, Sliced or Slivered
Shake the orange zest, juice, mustard, vinegar, oil and salt and pepper together in a jar. Toss the berries with the Spring Greens and basil and top with the goat cheese. Drizzle with the orange dressing.
To Enjoy with Salads
What to drink with summer salads? In general, vinegar-based dressings work well with acidic, crisp and citrusy wines like Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, and Pinot Grigio. Viognier is my choice for these salads – Yalumba, Eden Valley Australia.