We love the sweet baby peppers that add flavor and health to any occasion, whether its a weeknight meal or fun with friends. The tiny colorful gems are a great lower calorie, easy way to serve up yummy stuffing like this savory cauliflower and cheese filling.
We used chopped basil and mint when preparing the peppers. We love basil for its ability to add Mediterranean flair to foods, while the mint adds freshness and pop. Did you know they are cousins? Both are from the mint family, which means they promote healthy digestion and aid in decreasing any nausea.
Cauliflower and Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- 2 LBs Peppers (sweet baby), sliced in half lengthwise, ribbed and seeded – keep the stems, they make good handles
- ½ Cup Chopped Shallots, (about 1 large or 2 small)
- 1 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Grated Garlic Cloves
- 1 (12 OZ) Package Riced Cauliflower, or chop your cauliflower, (in several batches) in the food processor until crumbly
- 1 (4 oz) Log Goat Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 2 TB Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 TB Chopped Basil
- 1 TB Chopped Mint
Preheat oven to 400F. Sauté the shallots in the oil until soft, about 4 – 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook and stir until fragrant. Ad the cauliflower and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until they release all their liquid.
In a small bowl, mash the cheeses with the basil, mint, salt and cayenne. Stir in the cauliflower. Fill the peppers with cheese mixture. Place in oven for 7 – 9 minutes or until warm and gooey and slightly browned like the photo above.
*If you have any stuffing left, put it in a small ramekin and bake it in the oven for about 12 – 15 minutes.