This simple salad makes a bright, tangy companion to almost anything off the grill. It would make an excellent picnic salad because you can make it a day ahead; the extra time just gives the flavors more time to sink into the beans. It can also be put together at the last minute with basic pantry item and any fresh herbs in the fridge or garden.
We’ve used rosemary and parsley in our salad today. Rosemary is considered a cognitive stimulant and can help improve memory performance, boost alertness and focus. It is a fragrant evergreen herb native to the Mediterranean. Did you know it is actually a part of the mint family? The herb not only tastes good in this awesome salad but provides a source of iron, calcium, and Vitamin B6 to the dish.
Mediterranean Farro and White Bean Salad with Lemon Dijon Dressing
- 2 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 TB Lemon Juice
- 1 TB Dijon
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- 3 Cups Cooked Farro, (3/4 Cup Farro prepared as package directs)
- 1 (15 OZ) Can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Roasted Red Peppers, sliced thinly
- ¼ Cup Capers
- ¼ Cup Chopped Green Onions, green parts only
- ½ Cup Chopped Fresh Herbs, like Rosemary, Basil or Parsley
To make the Lemon Dijon Dressing, add the oil, juice and Dijon to a jar and shake well. Add the farro, beans, pepper, capers, green onions and herbs to a bowl. Drizzle and toss with the dressing. Taste to season with salt and pepper as desired. Pour the salad out on a platter and serve.