This salad is not only yummy-good but yummy-good for you! The combo of Kale and Sprouts make a crunchy good salad, and the dressing rocks the cruciferous greens. Red pepper flakes add a zing to the salad.
Using these little flakes in a salad like this is good for your heart health and can help boost your immune system. The credit goes to a compound called capsaicin within the peppers. There are promising studies on the benefits of capsaicin including lower blood sugars for diabetics and helping boost metabolism. Red pepper flakes also contain Vitamin C and numerous carotenoids.
Kale and Brussels Salad with Tahini Miso Maple Dressing
- 1 Small Bunch Kale, ribs removed, in long thin strips or chiffonade
- About 16 Brussels Sprouts, (1/2 LB), shredded in the food processor
- ½ Cup Chopped Roasted Nuts like Walnuts or Almonds
- ½ Cup Dried Cherries or Cranberries
- ¼ Cup Shredded Parmesan
- ¼ Cup Tahini
- 2 TB Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice, plus more as needed
- 2 Tsp White or Light Miso
- 1 – 2 TB Maple Syrup
- ¼ Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 to 4 TB Water
- Sea Salt to Taste
Toss the kale, Brussels sprouts, nuts, dried fruit and parmesan in a large bowl. Add the tahini, lemon, miso, syrup and pepper to another (smaller) small and whisk, add water slowly until the dressing is creamy and pourable. Taste to season with salt. Drizzle the salad with the dressing, starting with half and tossing well. Add additional dressing as desired.