The spicy taste of basil makes these potatoes sing with flavor. There’s nothing like a combo of tomatoes, basil, olives and capers to make almost anything taste better AND be better for us. Did you know basil can protect our body from a cellular level? Yes, it has flavonoids and volatile oils that have been studied to show cell and chromosome support from environmental damage. And basil is a good to protect from bacterial growth in the body as well.
Great news – this recipe is fast and easy, and cleanup is too. An aluminum foil lined sheet pan makes this breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner side a snap to prepare.
…and it wouldn’t be a bad idea to make this delicious potato dish a little a perfect nest for a poached egg!
Herbed and Spiced Potatoes
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, Chopped – peeled if the skin is “gnarly”
- 2 Large Golden Potatoes, Chopped
- 2 Large Red Onions, Cut in eighths
- 4 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Cup Chopped Roma or Grape Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Chopped Sundried Tomatoes (dried – not oil packed.)
- ½ Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ Tsp Italian Seasoning
- ½ Cup Chopped Kalamata Olives
- ¼ Cup Capers
- 2 TB Chopped Basil
- 2 Tsp Lemon Juice
Place the potatoes and onion on a sheet tray, toss with 2 TB of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Slide into a 400F oven and roast for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy and brown around the edges.
When the potatoes and onion are roasted, scrape them into a large bowl, and add the remaining ingredients, including the remaining 2 TB of oil. Stir together gently and serve, warm, room temp or cold.