April means strawberries are rolling into the farmer’s markets and stores in Georgia, and before we leave this month, we couldn’t resist passing on a strawberry recipe. It’s one that we return to each spring when strawberries are abundant and beautiful!
Basil tops this spring salad, providing flavor, color and nutrition, too! Basil is our power herb of the week. Here are a few reasons why we love basil!
- Anti-inflammatory qualities.
- It is a potent antibacterial.
- Basil contains only 22 calories and has compounds that fight the effects of aging.
- Antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, antioxidant and anti-cancer activity.
Enjoy the great salad and they health benefits throughout!
Strawberry Basil Salad
- 1/4 Cup (Low Sugar if possible) Strawberry Jam
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp each Salt and Black Pepper
- 8 Cups Spring Greens – Baby Spinach, Arugula, Watercress or other Lettuces
- 1 Cup Shredded Red Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 2 Cups Sliced Strawberries
- 4 Oz Goat Cheese, Crumbled
- 1/4 Thinly Sliced Green Onions
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Slivered or Sliced Almonds
- Julienned Basil for Garnish (Basil cut in thin strips)
To make the dressing, add the jam, vinegar, mustard and oil to a jar and shake well. Season with the salt and pepper.
To make the salad, toss together the salad ingredients. Beginning with half of the dressing, toss the salad, adding more if necessary. Garnish with basil.