Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Coconut Stew with Indian Flavors
- 4 TB Coconut Oil, melted and divided
- 1 Large Sweet Potato, cut into 1” cubes, peeled if necessary
- 1 TB Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- ½ Tsp Each Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Cups Chopped Red Onion (1 Large)
- 3 Grated Garlic Cloves
- 2 Jalapeños, seeded, ribbed and chopped
- 4” Fresh Ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 TB Coriander
- 1 ½ Cups Veggie Stock
- 1 (15 OZ) Can Coconut Milk
- 2 (15 OZ) Cans Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 2 TB Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1 Lime in Wedges
Preheat the oven to 400F. On a sheet pan, toss the potatoes with 2 TB oil, garam masala, cumin and salt and pepper. Roast until soft about 20 minutes, remove and set aside.
While the potatoes are roasting, add the remaining oil to a large sauté pan and over medium high heat, cook the onion and jalapeños until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, coriander and ginger and cook and stir for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the veggie stock, coconut milk and chickpeas and cook stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. Using a potato masher, mash some of the chickpeas to add texture to the stew.
Add in the cooked sweet potatoes and warm for about 5 minutes before serving in bowls, topped with cilantro and coconut flakes and lime wedges.