No. 1 : Quick Recipe
Tamale Pie with Roasted Veggies
- Bag Cauliflower Florets
- 2 Large Carrots, Sliced
- 2 Large Parsnips, Sliced
- 1 Red Onion, Chopped
- 2 Tsp Each: Cumin, Chile Powder, Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Each: Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 (15 oz) Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 OZ Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Recipe Cornbread*
Toss the veggies with the spices, salt, pepper and oil in a large bowl. Place the veggies on a sheet pan and slide into a 400F oven for 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden browned. Leave the oven on. While the veggies are roasting make the cornbread*.
Place the roasted veggies in the bottom of an oil sprayed casserole dish. Stir in the tomatoes and the beans. Sprinkle on the cheese, Spread the cornbread on top. Place in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until the cornbread is golden. Serve topped with your choice of peppers, cilantro or nonfat greek yogurt.
No. 2 : Kitchen Scoop
*Better for YOU Cornbread
- 2 Cups Yellow Cornmeal
- ½ Tsp Each Turmeric, Chile Powder, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 (!5 oz) Can Cannellini Beans
- 1 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Large Eggs and 4 Large Egg Whites, lightly beaten
- 2 Cups Non Dairy Milk
Whisk the cornmeal, spices, baking soda and powder together.
In another bowl, mash the beans and add the oil. Thoroughly stir in eggs, whites and buttermilk, then add the cornmeal mixture and stir until just blended.
No. 3 : Clever Idea
Better for you because of the fiber and protein from the beans – this recipe makes great cornbread muffins, too. Cook in a 350F oven until golden brown on top – about 15 minutes.
No. 4 : Cheers!
Juan Gil Jumilla
Fresh, juicy berries and black plums meet soft tannins and an easy drinking finish which makes this wine a perfect partner for a fun casual dinner with family or friends. Made from the monastrell grape, (mouvedre) in Spain, its highly rated by the wine gurus and once you try it – you’ll discover why!