Tomatoes and Basil go together like summer sun and sudden showers – they are the essence of summer. In this recipe, we take the summer pair and match them with lentils, fennel and capers to create a tasty dish that can go from the side to the star of a plate!
Basil is has many anti-inflammatory and antibacterial qualities. It contains just 22 calories per serving which is great if you are trying to keep your weight down. There are actually 35 different types of basil…look for one called Holy Basil for the most health benefits!
Mediterranean Style Stuffed Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Prepared Brown Lentils
- ½ Cup Pitted and Chopped Oil Cured Black Olives OR Kalamata Olives
- ½ Cup Chopped Sundried Tomatoes OR Chopped Roasted Red Peppers
- 1 (15 OZ) Can Rinsed and Drained Chickpeas OR Cannellini Beans
- ½ Chopped Fennel OR Celery
- ¼ Cup Capers
- ¼ Cup Basil, Chiffonade
- 1 Recipe Mediterranean Vinaigrette
- 6 Cups Lettuces of your choice
- 12 Roma, Campari or other Small Juicy Summer-ripe Tomatoes, top cut off and hollowed out with a melon baller
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta or Goat Cheese
Toss the lentils, olives, tomatoes or peppers, chickpeas, fennel or celery and capers together in a large bowl. Drizzle with the Mediterranean Vinaigrette, reserving 2 TBs.
Place the shredded lettuces on a large tray and drizzle with the reserved dressing. Fill each tomato half with about 2 TBs of the lentil mixture. Place on top of the lettuces and sprinkle with the crumbled feta.
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 TB Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Dijon
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Orange Juice
- Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Pepper to taste
Shake the ingredients together in a small jar.