During the “comfort food” season of winter, its so nice to have a hardy salad that we can serve up for dinner. One plate – dinner done. This salad is the perfect antidote to heavy soups and stews, the arugula with the crunchy cabbage won’t weigh you down!
We often say that smoked paprika tastes like “bacon without bacon”. And in this salad the smoked paprika makes this roasted red pepper dressing more “meaty” tasting. Smoked Paprika has a large amount of antioxidants present in the spice. It has Vitamin A, lutein and zeaxanthin, all of which can help prevent diseases that damage your eyes. The vibrant red color adds a rich level of antioxidants and carotenoids to the plate which we always say eat from the rainbow—in this case eat the red and green foods—- to get your daily nutrition!
Arugula Salad with Roasted Pepper Dressing
- ¼ Head Red Cabbage, thinly sliced
- 8 – 12 Cups Arugula
- 1 Cup Marcona Almonds, chopped, (Marcona Almonds are a delicious variety from Spain, if you can’t find them in your grocery or speciality store, just use roasted salted almonds.)
- 1 Cup Shredded Manchego Cheese
- 1 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Cup Green Spanish Olives, Chopped
- *Red Pepper Dressing
Toss the first six ingredients together in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss again.
Red Pepper Dressing
- 3 Roasted Red Peppers
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 TB Chopped Parsley
- 2 TB Sherry Vinegar
- ½ Tsp Smoked Paprika
- ¼ Cup Light Mayonnaise (Like Kraft Reduced Fat Olive Oil Mayo)
- 1 TB+ Red Wine
- Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper to Taste
Place the peppers, garlic, parsley, vinegar and paprika and purée the mixture until smooth. Add in the mayonnaise and pulse until smooth. Add the red wine until desired consistency and season to taste with salt and pepper.