Honey is a super versatile ingredient that can be used for everything from sweet to savory!
Did you know?
- Honey sweeter than sugar so we can use a little less.
- Mead is wine made with honey!
- Although still a sugary treat, honey is less processed that sugar, making it a little better-for-us.
- You can substitute ½ Cup of Sugar one for one with honey in a recipe.
- Honey causes baked goods to brown more quickly, so when cooking with honey reduce the oven temp by 25 degrees and watch careful
Watch me and fun host Christine Pullara whip up these honey treats here: http://www.11alive.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/atlanta-and-company/honey-recipes-for-the-holidays/85-500402297
Honey Sweet Pineapple Salsa
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Pineapple
2 TB Minced Red Onion
1 TB Minced Seeded Jalapeño
1 TB Chopped Cilantro
1 TB Cider Vinegar
2 TB Honey
½ Tsp Smoked Paprika
Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
Stir the ingredients together, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Tortilla Chips.
Warm a cup of honey in a sauté pan, add a handful of fresh herbs, tied together. Simmer gently for 10 minutes and set aside to cool. Drizzle over a log of goat cheese and serve with crackers.
***Use a tablespoon in vinaigrette for a smooth herbal flavor, or add to a cup of green tea.
Honey Cinnamon Muffins
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 2 TB Unsalted Butter
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 ¼ Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ¼ Cups Regular Oats
- 1 TB Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 4 TB Unsalted Butter, in chunks
- 1 TB Honey
Preheat oven to 350F. Combine the honey and butter in a small saucepan, cook until butter melts. Stir in the milk and set aside for a few minutes until mixture has cooled. Whisk in the egg.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Add the egg and honey mixture to the flour mixture – stir until just moistened. The batter will be a little lumpy – this is fine.
In a small bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Mix topping together with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in the honey and mix until combined.
Fill greased mini muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle each muffin topping. Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes.