I celebrated National Food Day on October 24th with fun host Christine Pullara on NBC 11 Alive’s Atlanta & CO. Here’s the link to the video if you missed it live!
Here are TWO things you can do to change your eating the very next time you go to the grocery store:
- Look at the ingredient list before your buy. In most cases, fewer ingredients is better, since that means that the food hasn’t been processed as much and doesn’t have as much added to it.
For instance the packaged Nut Butters and Pumpkin like we use in this soup
Creamy Pumpkin Peanut Soup
- 1 TB Grated Fresh Ginger
- 1 Clove Garlic, Grated
- 1 TB Coconut Oil
- 1 Can (15 oz) Pumpkin
- 16 oz Veg Broth
- ½ Cups Orange Juice
- 1/2 Cup Natural, Creamy Peanut Butter
- Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper To Taste
- Zest of 1 Lime
- ½ Cup Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- ½ Cup Chopped Peanuts
Step One In a medium stockpot, sauté the garlic and ginger together in the coconut oil until fragrant – about 1 minute. Add the pumpkin, veg broth and orange juice. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low, simmer for about 15 minutes.
Step Two Add peanut butter and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until warm. Taste for salt and pepper.
Step Three Mix the lime zest with the Greek yogurt. Garnish each bowl with a TB of the yogurt mixture, and sprinkle with the peanuts.
- Focus on a few specific things rather than trying to look at all the information at once. You can drive yourself crazy trying to find a product that has the right amount of fiber, the right amount of salt, the right amount of fat – the right amount of everything.
For instance, checking the Sodium content in foods OR that the first ingredient in chocolate is actually chocolate – this recipe is a great example!
Crazy Good Chocolate Chunk Bean Dip
- ¾ Cup Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 – 3 TB Unsweetened Plain or Vanilla Almond Milk
- ¼ Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 TB Almond Butter
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- ¼ Cup (at least 70%) Chunked Dark Chocolate
- Sliced Apples
Add all the beans, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Stir in the chocolate. Place in a bowl and chill for at least an hour until the flavors have melded. Serve with apple slices.