So what does eating mindfully even mean? Well, it is when you actually listen to hunger, feel satisfied in your stomach, and taste your food. I sometimes wonder if anyone does this anymore. We are programmed to eat so fast and squeeze so many things into our day. What if we tried to create some margin in our life and make time to enjoy our food? Mindful eating is a big part of a wellness plan. It can help people loose weight and get back on track with re-discovering food. Here are some good tips in beginning your journey of mindful eating:
- Slow down the pace of eating (take breaths between bites, chew slowly, assess your fullness).
- Eat away from distractions such as TV, computer, or car.
- Become aware of your body’s hunger and fullness.
- Choose to eat foods that are pleasant and nourishing by using all your senses.
- Be aware of and reflect on the effects the food has on you.