It’s the strawberry time of the year, and we can’t help but share one of our favorite strawberry recipes – one that we return to each spring when strawberries are abundant and beautiful!
We toured the Buford Highway Farmers Market on Thursday, with a group from the Thomas F Chapman Family Cancer Wellness Center. It was a blast checking out all the different fruits, veggies and herbs that are in season this time of year. After our tour we headed back to the teaching kitchen at the market to share our bounty. This salad was enjoyed by all!
Basil tops this spring salad, providing flavor, color and nutrition, too! Basil is our power herb of the week. Here are a few reasons why we love basil!
- Anti-inflammatory qualities.
- It is a potent antibacterial.
- Basil contains only 22 calories and has compounds that fight the effects of aging.
- Antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, antioxidant and anti-cancer activity.
Enjoy the great salad and they health benefits throughout!
Strawberry Jam Salad
- 1/4 Cup Low Sugar Strawberry Jam
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp each Salt and Black Pepper
- 8 Cups Spring Greens – Baby Spinach, Arugula, Watercress or other Lettuces
- 1 Cup Shredded Red Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 2 Cups Sliced Strawberries
- 4 Oz Goat Cheese, Crumbled
- 1/4 Thinly Sliced Green Onions
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Slivered or Sliced Almonds
- Julienned Basil for Garnish (Basil cut in thin strips)
To make the dressing, add the jam, vinegar, mustard and oil to a jar and shake well. Season with the salt and pepper.
To make the salad, toss together the salad ingredients. Beginning with half of the dressing, toss the salad, adding more if necessary. Garnish with basil.