It’s the soup and salad time of the year – and what better way to celebrate National Hot and Spicy Food day than with a warming African inspired soup and a bright and tangy slaw?
YOU can check out the segment on Atlanta and Company right here: http://www.11alive.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/atlanta-and-company/hot-and-spicy-recipes/85-508487407
SWEET AND SPICY PEANUT Slaw
- 2 TB Peanut Butter
2 TB Sesame Oil
2 TB Rice Vinegar
1 TB Light Soy Sauce or Tamari
2 Tsp Honey
2 Grated Garlic Cloves
2 TB Fresh Grated Ginger
1 Jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 5 – 6 Cups or 1 1/2 LB Green Cabbage, finely shredded (or one package shredded
- 2 Large Carrots, peeled and grated
- 6 Radishes, grated
- ½ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- Sea Salt and Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ Cup Chopped Salted Peanuts
To make the dressing, use an immersion blender to purée the peanut butter, oil, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, and jalapeño until a smooth paste is formed.
Place cabbage, carrot, radishes and cilantro in a salad bowl. Toss with the dressing. Season with salt and chile, and sprinkle with peanuts.
Slow Cooker African Inspired Veggie Soup
Why makes this soup African Inspired? I taught cooking at the American Embassy in Burundi and learned from the cooks there about frequently used ingredients in African: onions, sweet potatoes, ginger, garlic, spinach, coconut.
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 1 TB Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- ½ Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Large Red Onion, chopped
- 4 Large Cloves Garlic, grated
- 2 TB Ginger, grated
- 2 LBs Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 Can (15 ½ OZ) Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Golden Raisins
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Cups Veggie Broth
- 1 (15 ½ OZ) Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 2 Pkgs Frozen Chopped Spinach, defrosted
- 1 (15 ½ OZ) Can Coconut Milk
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt + Chopped Parsley
Sauté the oil, turmeric, salt and pepper with the onion and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and ginger sauté until fragrant about 1 minute.
Add the ingredients from the sauté pan into the slow cooker, along with the sweet potato, tomatoes, raisins, cinnamon, cayenne, broth, chickpeas and spinach.. Cook on high heat for 6 to 8 hours.
Add the coconut milk and cook and for an hour until warm. Serve topped with coconut, yogurt and parsley.